Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Names

Cabbage patch kids come with names so when I was given Marlena Georgia, Cleo Dulce, Boyce Aaron and Cleveland Hughes, I didn't change their names. I mean those ARE their names, it says so on their little certificate. Even though I'm not actually a fan of any of those names, Cleo Dulce started to look like Cleo and the same is true for the rest of them. I do have to wonder how you could name a preemie cabbage patch Cleveland Hughes when it sounds like a chubby President from the 50's.

When we decided what kind of dog we wanted, we picked through names and decided on Hazel. Later, when we actually got our puppy she had a name (Lola) and I couldn't even picture her as a Hazel.

Needless to say, Josh and I have been pondering names for quite some time. There is a definite no name list which consists of people of whom we are reminded when we think of that particular name (for example, no Jasons because I think of the boy in my kindergarten class who teased me mercilessly about my eczema). Josh and I lean towards more classic names (Prudence, Florence...just kidding) and I wonder if it has anything to do with our names. Joshua and Jennifer, for example, are common. My sister on the other hand, leans towards more alternative/exotic names. Her name, Brieanne, is not super common and was even less so when she was younger. Are we less adventurous because of our names, is she more so because of hers? How are we influenced by our name or are we?

Fortunately, we are on the same page as far as the names we do like. I lean towards having it narrowed down and deciding for certain when I get to see her face. Josh would like to have it decided before then. At least we still have 3+ months to figure that out.

I have a doc appointment on Friday and I am going to take the ultrasound bottom shots for my doc to see and weigh in on baby gender, if she'll indulge me. My mom is concerned that maybe (because this has happened to friends of hers) even though ultrasound indicated a girl, I'll deliver a boy. She wants to be prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the name game! I have baby names I've always loved and assumed I would use someday, but due to students with the same name and horrible personalities, I've had to drop a few. Being a teacher really takes out a chunk of great names!! :-)

I also sometimes think I want more alternative/exotic names, but who knows.... :-)