Monday, May 11, 2009

Cousins in Las Vegas

Las Vegas has never been a destination I saw myself visiting and yet on Friday, there I was, family in tow. A good friend of Josh's got married this past weekend and the Smith family used that platform as an opportunity for a mini family reunion. We met up with Josh's parents and brother, wife, Jen and their daughter Rubie.

First of all, I was completely overwhelmed. I had no idea what to expect from Vegas but as we landed almost quite literally on the strip, I knew this place was crazy. People, lights (I wasn't even there at night), billboards, smoke, cocktails...wow.


The laughing jackalope? I don't think I get this place. Second, how fun to see these two little cousins interact. Claire and Rubie are not even a day apart so Jen and I enjoy comparing notes on the girls. They have such different personalities. Rubie is outgoing, energetic and animated. Claire is expressive, reserved and cautious. Their first meeting almost said it all. Rubie lunged for Claire legs kicking, arms out and face exuding happiness and excitement. Claire leaned back into the arms of grandma, started her pouty face and looked around for me. This picture just about says it all.

Claire and Aunt Jen in front of the Bellagio.Rubie enjoying the view from her dad's shoulders.
Claire taking a nap on her grandpa after an exhausting day of travel and taking in the sights of the strip.

The girls relaxing on the bed at the hotel.

Claire sharing a snuggle moment with her dad.

No comments: