Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back to work...

Yesterday I returned to the work force. I am working part time at the Concord Chamber of Commerce. I worked there about a year and a half ago. Since the day after Christmas I've been grieving a little bit how quickly my leave has gone. The last three months have been filled with so many memories and new experiences the time has flown by. I am grateful that I was able to take three months off to spend with our little girl.

I made an effort to be emotional before Claire woke up so she wouldn't pick up on anything and be stressed for my grandma. It was not as difficult as I thought to go to work. I know its because I had so many praying for this transition - Thank you! I also know it has something to do with where I'm working. It was good to be in a familiar place with good friends. When I returned home I was greeted with coos and smiles from Claire.

Today was my first day working from home. I can foresee amusing stories in my future - I'm sure similar to other moms. I took the opportunities Claire's naps provided to get work done. As she slept in the other room I made phone calls. Lola found a new perch, my lap at the table. She would occasionally raise her head and lay it on the keyboard. She continued to make herself at home on the chair even when I got up to do grab water or a pen.

Now yesterday was the first day in Claire's little life that she did not poop so today I was bracing myself for a blow out. While making what turned out to be my last phone call of the morning I heard a minor explosion coming from Claire's swing. I finished the call and retrieved my now smiling and cooing little girl to survey the damage. Upon arriving at her changing table I discovered what I could categorize as a class four blow out (out of five). In addition to the diaper area her legs her back, both her onesies, her socks, her pants - everywhere. After assesing the situation I decided it was time for a Ken Taylor (my dad) diaper change - dunk in the bathtub to wash off all the poop. So Claire got an impromtu bath and clothing change. Back downstairs, Claire contented herself in the bouncer but shortly thereafter I could tell she was working on something - it turned out to be a class three blowout. So back upstairs for another diaper and clothing change. Needless to say she made up for lost time. As I got back to the afternoon phone calls Lola resume her perch on my lap...funny dog.

So here we are getting into a routine. More stories to come, I'm sure.

No comments: