Friday, September 5, 2008

Acts of Service

Today was shaping up to be very similar to every other Friday. I came home at lunch to see Josh (since he's off early on Fridays). Josh was talking to a neighbor so I came in the house alone and was struck by this thought "Josh must have been REALLY busy since he got off work." The house was SPOTLESS, beautiful. So when he walked in the door I remarked about the cleaning fairy that visited the house. He corrected me, fairies, not fairy. As it turns out, Josh had been busy since he got home but on baby duty not cleaning duty. The women in our small group took over our house this morning and cleaned the place top to bottom, left some food in our freezer and a giftcard for Josh and I to go out and have dinner together. Josh got to hang out with two of his favorite babies from our church while their moms went to work.

Its hard to describe the feelings that have overwhelmed me the rest of the day. The thoughtfulness and generousity of these women has moved me greatly. They hit right at the heart of something that is dear and precious to me, my home. They were caring for my home out of their unselfish desire to serve. I don't know if they will know how much this means to me because I'm certainly not doing a good job of conveying this in words. Thank you for blessing my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I admit that I teared up when I read this post? I know, I know...and I'm not even pregnant! :-) I just know you well enough to know the emotion behind what you are writing and how much it truly did mean to you to be blessed in such a way.

And, if I'm really honest, part of the tearing up was me wishing I could be there doing those things and hating that we live so far apart.

Love you lots and miss you more!